Sunday, October 6, 2013

Book Review: 75+ Reading Strategies

Have you ever read a book that gives you more ideas than what are contained within its pages? As a teacher I find that the most inspirational texts I read are those that influence/spark new ideas in my own mind. 75+ Reading Strategies by Danny Brassell is that book. It is full of strategies to help reading come alive in a classroom. Some strategies are more traditional and, I assume, are strategies most teachers currently use (Reader's Theater, partner reading, mad libs, using environmental print), and others are fresh ideas that teachers could adapt to their own room (The People's Court for solving conflicts and practicing oral language skills, having kids act as Hollywood publicists to determine the main idea in a story, and a bunch of ways to use beach balls in the classroom). So, if you're like me and love books that ignite great ideas for your classroom, this is a must-read. I will hang on to this one and reference it any time I need language arts inspiration. Click HERE to find it on Amazon.

No comments: